Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hay for the Horses by Gary Snyder

After reading the poem "Hay for the Horses" by Gary Snider i felt a very close connection because the author discussed an issue i personally have been conflicted with and worry about in my own life.  Snyder speaks of an elderly gentlemen who is driving his truck late at night and doing work.  The message unfolds towards the end when the man in the poem is quoted basically talking about his age now, being 68, and referring back to when he began his work at 17 when he told himself "I sure would hate to do this all my life" and it just so happen to end up that way.  There is a feeling throughout the poem i felt of a certain frustration that is disguised well by acceptance of the situation the man in the poem is stuck in.  As well as understanding that the time in his life flew by so quickly he wasn't able to stop it, only now able to reminisce about a better time in his life.  This is a big fear i face everyday because i too, along with the man spoken about in the poem, want to take advantage of my life and the world still being ahead of me as opposed to behind me like the farmer.  I hope i have a different future than he does.

1 comment:

  1. This gets at the literal level of the poem, but will need to push beyond that--bear down on details of the imagery for clues Make sure to read my comments on this poem on Chante Barne's blog in blogs from previous classes.

    ReplyDelete